Digg Leeching Exposed

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to have something I wrote make it to the index page of Digg. This of course resulted in an amazing amount of hits on my site tracker. I was paging through the referrals when I noticed that I had been linked to on some other blogs. So, I of course felt the need to check out the sites that I had been linked from. What I found was very interesting. As is clearly stated in the about Digg page, blog linking is not only allowed but encouraged. The website has been setup to allow for single click blog linking once an account has been setup. The problem is that there seem to be some scumbags out there using this to basically leech off Digg and make it look like their own content. I have 2 examples of this and a 3rd page that shows how Digg blogging should be done. And before you flame me on this I realize by linking these B.S. blogs I am sending them traffic, but I am trying to make a point here.

http://speedloadertech.blogspot.com/

As you can see this is an out of the can blogger site. The only thing this guy has ever posted is digg stories. No comments of his own, no opinions or additional views whatsoever. It looks like the Digg Konfabulator widget just in blog form. It seems like the process may even be automated, notice how some of the posts occur in the same minute. The problem here is that if you did not know what Digg is you might think this guy was just a really prolific tech writer and was generating all this content on his own. Actually I doubt any one would really think that but, I think that’s what he’s going for.

http://alientech.becauseitspossible.com/

Now this leech looks to be a little more tech savvy, but I have the same basic issues with his site. His tagline “Aliens from cyberspace giving you todays tech news” really shows that he is trying to misrepresent here. He wants you to believe that he is the source of this content. His tracker shows that he as actually seen a fair amount of traffic to. The worst part is that he has Google AdSense on his page. He is trying to make money by basically copying and pasting dig to his blog. How lame is that?

http://crashreport.blogspot.com/

Now this guy is using Digg’s “blog this” function the way it is meant to be used. In addition to doing his own writing, he is linking dig stories he thinks are interesting and often adding his own input.

The reason that I am concerned enough about this issue to write this post is simple. I fraking love Digg. It’s the best new site I have seen in years. Right now the user controlled model is working well. But, I think we can all see where it could go wrong. If we don’t love dig enough to self police it, then it could end up being just another spammy junk site. After seeing how the “Blog This” function is being misused I think Rev3 should consider adding some human verification into the process of blogging dig submissions.

Update: http://alientech.becauseitspossible.com is now posting orignal content. The kid is a pretty good writer to, I hope he sticks with it.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
Join the debate on our new forum!
http://www.anonymizer.com/ http://www.hidemyaSS.com/ http://www.fsurf.com/ http://myipwas.com/ http://www.zunta.org/blog/archives/004498.php Microsofts Guide to RDP

9:20 AM

I put a ton of Digg stuff up on my blog but that is cuz i want it for refernce later....nothing wrong with that right?    



9:27 AM

Thanks for the mention as being a good blog, I try my best.    



9:45 AM

Some people use their blogs as a reference for themselves, so in that case I could see that being an excuse for this behaviour, I usually add a “From dig” the beginning of my posts when I use the blog this feature on digg    



9:51 AM

Scruffy Dan, thats all fine and good. But at least in the case of http://alientech.becauseitspossible.com/
does it not seem like he's trying to make it look like his own tech news site?    



9:58 AM

Not that it's quite the same thing, but I've been working on some software that's free for download that makes an effort to reproduce the digg.com functionality so people can set up their own sites for their own specific communities.

http://www.talkingpixels.org/diggclone/index.php

I've changed a few things about the interface and such, but the basic idea is the same...    



10:16 AM

i dont think we can stop them from doing this all the have to do is copy and paste the link and the article to thier blog.....all the "Blog This" feature does is it makes them easier to leech off the site    



10:53 AM

There are alot of people who use their blogspot accounts as personal reference tools, but when an adsense account is on the site it becomes obvious that they intend to makemoney off of digg without proper representation.. Thats lame.. Digg.com makes posting to a blog very easy, and bloggers should (at the very least) acknoledge the site as the source.. -TheTechFixx.com    



11:05 AM

All valid points guys, but can we really trust a guy who averages one post per month? I think not.    



11:14 AM

Hello - you got a nice blog and wanted to let you know about it. I found you through the blog toolbar - cool looking site.

I have a plans workbench site/blog. It' all about plans workbench related stuff.

Have a great day

Cat    



5:21 PM

If you would just take your time to know your way around, you could discover a lot of premium products and services being offered for free.    



5:55 PM

I have been to your site and I too am working very hard at adsense free free google google googleadsensesearch.com money money to increase my revenue. I am also looking into many NEW ways to utilize the design to further direct people to follow my ads.
adsense free free google google googleadsensesearch.com money money    



9:12 PM

It pretty much covers FREE Marketing related stuff.    



6:46 AM

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free site Free Article Search. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)    



6:04 AM

I was looking for a place to submit my atkins diet article and stumbled across your blog. I enjoy reading blogs with my coffe in the morning before work. its fun to see whats up with people around the world.

Anyway, I did find a free blog and article submission site here Site Submit/Article Submission

Anyway, I enjoyed your blog. Have a nice day : )    



8:58 AM

I was looking for a place to submit my free article and stumbled across your blog. I enjoy reading blogs with my coffe in the morning before work. its fun to see whats up with people around the world.

Anyway, I did find a free blog and article submission site here Site Submit/Article Submission

Anyway, I enjoyed your blog. Have a nice day : )    



7:16 AM

Vous avez un blog très agréable et je l'aime, je vais placer un lien de retour à lui dans un de mon blogs qui égale votre contenu. Il peut prendre quelques jours mais je ferai besure pour poster un nouveau commentaire avec le lien arrière.

Merci pour est un bon blogger.    



1:22 AM

Great info about adsense help I have a lage interest also and have a site about adsense help please feel free to check it out.    



8:09 PM

So many blogs and only 10 numbers to rate them. I'll have to give you a 7 because you have good content but lack of quality posts.

Free Access To More Information Aboutcheap internet service    



1:44 AM

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a website related togoogle adsense software. So make sure you visit and hope it's useful.    



7:18 AM

Hey, nice blog and great info!
Check out my new site, this one is for those seeking debt settlement article
and debt settlement article
information.
Come and check it out if you get time I would really appreciate it :-)    



4:21 AM

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a article submit tax site which mostly consists of article submit tax related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)    



12:43 PM

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.    



2:01 PM

Hello, You have a really great blog going here. I will definitely bookmark you and drop by again. If you are interested in more information on article leadership, I have a lot of resources available in the form of fresh articles dealing with article leadership . Come by and check us out for more content about article leadership if you have time. :)    



2:11 AM

Want more clicks to your Adsense Ads on your Blog?

Then you have to check out my blog. I have found a FREE and Legitimate way that will increase your earnings.

Come Check us out. How to Boost Your AdSense Revenue    



3:26 AM

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a website related togoogle adsense software. So make sure you visit and hope it's useful.    



6:39 AM

Hey, nice blog and great info!
I have a new business article
site. Its a really great site for business article
.
Come and check it out if you get time I would really appreciate it :-)    



3:03 AM

I am shocked at how many blogs there are on adwords paying top. My site is very simular to adwords paying top, please visit my site when you can at: www.ickaboo.com    



2:45 AM

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.    



4:33 PM

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a website related togoogle adsense software. So make sure you visit and hope it's useful.    



» Post a Comment